Tuesday 10 April 2012

My response to the PCS union

In common with most local election candidates, I was contacted recently by the Public & Commercial Services union, PCS, to comment on a series of pledges they are asking candidates to make. This is my response:


"I am the Labour & Co-operative Party candidate for Pinhoe ward in Exeter city council's elections on May 3rd. I am also a member of Unite the union, and have been campaigning on a range of cuts, and particularly against the NHS Bill. My partner is a public sector worker, as a member of civilian staff working within the police in child protection. In response to your specific pledges:

1. I pledge to support PCS campaigns against public service job cuts and to ensure quality public services are delivered to those in need. 
I believe that this coalition government is cutting too far, too fast. I am not convinced that the deficit is the biggest challenge facing this country, and I believe that the majority of the blame for the deficit in the UK, and for the international economic crisis, sits with the unchecked greed and drive for expansion within the private corporate sector. On that basis, I call for greater commitment from the wealthiest (whether companies or individuals) to pay their way through a reformed and transparent progressive tax system.

2. I pledge to support the PCS campaign for fair pay and a living wage for workers. 
I am proud that it was a Labour government that introduced the minimum wage. However, I believe along with Ed Miliband and others within the Labour Party that we now need to research and set a living wage. In the south particularly, we need to recognise the unaffordability of housing to public sector workers, and set a living wage accordingly.

3. I pledge to protect quality public services and work alongside PCS, community organisations and other trade unions to ensure that no more public services are privatised, outsourced or mutualised. 
As an employee of a community organisation, and a trade union member, I have profound concerns about the privatisation of public services under the agenda "opening public services". I believe that this government's agenda is to open up public services to private sector providers who will run these services to make a profit. I do believe that mutualised services may have a valid role, but only as part of a genuinely co-operative model that is achieved with full union and employee consultation, cooperation and support. I believe this government has abused the language of mutualisation and co-operatives to attempt to seduce public opinion to favour a new system of commissioning that clearly favours big business.

4I pledge to support the PCS campaign for fair pensions for all; including calling on the government to protect public sector pensions, ensure the state pension keeps in line with inflation, that the government addresses pensioner poverty and that companies are prevailed upon to ensure they fulfil their pension obligations to staff.
Absolutely agree. This government's most recent budget, and their negotiating stance with teachers, police, and other public servants shows a contempt for the people who work hard to ensure our communities function. I am proud to campaign for fairer pensions, and for the protection of pensioners..

I trust the above responses make my position very clear."

No comments:

Post a Comment